Cheltenham Racecourse – What’s on?
The Cheltenham Festival is the biggest meeting of the National Hunt Season. Hundreds of thousands of racing enthusiasts flock to Prestbury Park courses each year for a horse racing event like no other. The four days of the festival showcase some of the finest jump racing action in the horse racing world. There’s plenty to love and enjoy about Cheltenham Racing. The atmosphere, action and unrivalled thrills are something both enthusiasts and novices saviour.
Cheltenham Racecourse isn’t just famed for one event of the year. There’s plenty going on throughout the National Hunt Season. Upcoming events include the Cheltenham November Meeting. Hosted on Friday 16th – Saturday 18th November, racegoers flock to Cheltenham for some fine racing action. The Cheltenham November Meeting is one of the most highly anticipated events of the season. Some of the high class racing includes The BetVictor Gold Cup, The Greatwood Hurdle and The Shloer Chase.
The racing action continues in December with the Cheltenham International Meeting on Friday 14th December to Saturday 15th December. This is another highlight of the racing season, with top races including the Caspian Caviar Gold Cup (December Gold Cup) and The International Hurdle.
There’s plenty of racing action to enjoy throughout the season at Cheltenham. However, the highlight of the season undoubtedly is the prestigious Cheltenham Festival. For many years the Cheltenham Festival has provided us with plenty of triumphant wins and devastating losses.
Want to learn a little more about the great Cheltenham Festival? Discover below our top 20 fun facts and learn all the fun quirks that make Cheltenham Festival so great.
Top 20 Fun Cheltenham Festival Facts:
The Olden Days
1. The first Cheltenham Gold Cup race was in 1924 with a prize fund of £685.
It’s a big crowd
2. 230,000 horse racing enthusiasts will flock to Prestbury Park for Cheltenham Festival meeting each year.
Long way to go
3. The length of the racetrack is 5.3 metres long which is the second largest after the Grand National at Aintree.
4. 40,000 hospitality guests are served over the four day period.
One time only
5. The Cheltenham Festival has only ever been cancelled once which was due to an outbreak of foot and mouth disease in 2001.
Luck of the Irish
6. 10,000 Irish Fans are said to attend each day of the Cheltenham Festival.
7. The total prize money across the four days is reportedly just over £4.5 million.
Lucky Number 2
8. Dawn Run is the name of the only horse ever to win both the Champion Hurdle (1984) and the Cheltenham Gold Cup (1986).
9. Over £600,000,000 is spent on Cheltenham Festival betting each year.
10. A massive 20,000 portions of chips will be consumed during the four days.
11. Golden Miller is the only racehorse to win the Cheltenham Gold Cup on five consecutive occasions.
12. A total of 22 fences are jumped during the Cheltenham Gold Cup race.
Value for money
13. The Cheltenham Gold Cup is the most valuable non-handicap chase in Britain.
It’s your round
14. A massive 220,000 pints of the Irish drink Guinness is said to be consumed each year.
Supporting the locals
15. On average the festival brings in around £100 million each year into the local Gloucestershire economy.
Looking for a job?
16. More than 6000 temporary workers are employed for the four day festival.
Making rush hour traffic seem fun
17. Around 105,000 people travel through Cheltenham Spa Station over the four days.
A treat for racing enthusiasts
18. A total of 27 National Hunt races are ran during the Festival.
Food is served
19. The canapés are always in full swing as a massive 3 tonnes of smoked salmon is consumed every year.
Cheltenham Festival Royalty
20. Ruby Walsh is the most successful Cheltenham Festival jockey who once received 7 wins in a year.
Cheltenham Racecourse Hospitality
Thinking of attending Cheltenham Racecourse for an unforgettable horse racing experience? Then we have got you covered. We provide luxurious, corporate hospitality packages throughout the season for Cheltenham Races and Cheltenham Festival.
For those wanting to attend the prestigious Cheltenham Festival our VIP hospitality packages are the perfect way to experience a race day like no other. Witness all the nail-biting action from the event in sublime style. We have hospitality available for Champion Day, Ladies Day, Cheltenham St Patricks Day,and Cheltenham Gold Cup Day. Dine in style in your very own private Grandstand box. Or why not indulge in a fine dining experience in the Long Run Restaurant. Of course, Cheltenham Festival Hospitality wouldn’t be what it is without access to the prestigious Silks.