With just a week left until the York Ebor Festival begins, here is what you should know.
The 2023 York Ebor Festival is just over the horizon, with the four days of world-class racing action set to get underway at York Racecourse in just a week’s time on Wednesday, 23rd August, with the racing coming to a close on Saturday, 26th August 2023.
On the festival’s final day, one of the event’s most famous races will take place – the Ebor Handicap. This race is the most valuable handicap in Europe, with the winner set to take home a very cool £500,000.
In 2022, Trawlerman, ridden by Frankie Dettori, came away with the victory in the most recent Ebor Handicap. The win came after Dettori managed to fend off competition from Alfred Boucher and Earl Of Tyrone, who had to settle for second and third place, respectively.
The first-ever winner of the Ebor Handicap was Pagan, ridden by Simeon ‘Sim’ Templeman in 1843. Overall, the most successful horse of all time in this race, this record is held by Flint Jack, who won in 1922 and 1923. Lester Piggott is the leading jockey in the Ebor Handicap with five wins: Gladness (1958), Primera (1959), Die Hard (1961), Tintagel II (1970) and Jupiter Island (1983).
As for the leading trainer, this record is held by Tom Dawson, who also has five wins to his name: Godfrey (1844), Mark Tapley (1850), Pax (1860), Makeshift (1862) and Mandrake (1867).
Over the four days, no less than 28 races are set to take place. Below are all of the races that are set to take place on each day.
Day One – Wednesday 23rd August:
- 13:50 – Sky Bet & Symphony Group Stakes Heritage Handicap.
- 14:25 – Tattersalls Acomb Stakes (Group 3).
- 15:00 – Sky Bet Great Voltigeur Stakes (Group 2).
- 15:35 – Juddmonte International Stakes (British Champions Series, Group 1).
- 16:10 – Sky Bet Stayers Stakes Heritage Handicap.
- 16:45 – IRE Incentive It pays to buy Irish Fillies’ Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 17:20 – Sky Bet Nursery Handicap
Day Two – Thursday 24th August:
- 13:50 – Sky Bet Lowther Stakes (Group 2 – Fillies).
- 14:25 – Goffs UK Harry Beeby Premier Yearling Stakes (GBB Race).
- 15:00 – Clipper Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 15:35 – Yorkshire Oaks (Group 1 – British Champions Series) (Fillies & Mares).
- 16:10 – British EBF & Sir Henry Cecil Galtres Stakes (Listed Race) (Fillies & Mares).
- 16:45 – Or8wellness EBF Stallions Nursery Handicap.
- 17:20 – British EBF 40th Anniversary Fillies’ Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
Day Three – Friday 25th August:
- 13:50 – Sky Bet Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 14:25 – Weatherbys Hamilton Lonsdale Cup Stakes (Group 2) (British Champions Series).
- 15:00 – Al Basti Equiworld Dubai Gimcrack Stakes (Group 2).
- 15:35 – Coolmore Wootton Bassett Nunthorpe Stakes (Group 1) (British Champions Series).
- 16:10 – Assured Data Protection EBF Fillies’ Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 16:45 – British EBF 40th Anniversary Convival Maiden Stakes (GBB Race).
- 17:20 – Sky Bet Mile Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
Day Four – Saturday 26th August:
- 13:50 – Sky Bet and Symphony Group Strensall Stakes (Group 3).
- 14:25 – Sky Bet Melrose Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 15:00 – Sky Bet City Of York Stakes (Group 2).
- 15:35 – Sky Bet Ebor Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 16:10 – Sky Bet Constantine Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
- 16:45 – Julia Graves Roses Stakes (Listed Race).
- 17:20 – Sky Bet Finale Handicap (Heritage Handicap).
Excitement will continue to build as the 2023 York Ebor Festival draws ever closer, and there is no better way to enjoy all of the action in some style than with an Eventmasters VIP Hospitality Package. Book now to avoid disappointment!
York Racecourse Hospitality Packages – 2023
Enquire About Our York Racecourse Hospitality:
Complete this form to register your interest:
If you are interested in any of our hospitality packages, our event specialists are ready to help you make your day memorable. Complete this contact form and we will be in contact shortly.