Watch the Cricket World Cup in VIP style with Trent Bridge Corporate Hospitality Packages
Trent Bridge, the home of Nottinghamshire County Cricket Club, is a world famous cricketing landmark.
It has acted as host for county and Test cricket since 1838 and is the world’s third oldest Test ground.
The founder, William Clarke, saw the potential of a quaint little meadow at the back of the Trent Bridge Inn – corporate hospitality to the fore even then perhaps – in 1838.
He married the landlady, Mary Chapman, and within a year was hosting matches on a newly created, fenced off ground alongside the pub.
Considered by many players and spectators to be one of the most pleasant in England, the architecture of the ground has been kept within the parameters set by the 1886 pavilion – one of the most renowned trademarks of cricket because it faces the wicket at an angle.
Trent Bridge held its first international cricket match in 1899 between England and Australia. It finished as a draw.
It had the honour of hosting the first match of the first five-match Test series in England. W.G. Grace, playing his last Test, was 50yrs 320 days old when the match ended; only Wilfred Rhodes played Test cricket at a greater age, and he made his debut in the same game.
Trent Bridge has developed steadily ever since, and has seen many of the cricketing greats leave their mark on history.
Denis Compton scored 278 against Pakistan in 1954. Sachin Tendulkar passed the 11,000 run mark in the npower 2nd Test in 2007. And in 2013, Ashton Agar achieved the highest test score by a No. 11 batsman whilst making his debut for Australia. Coming in with the score on 117/9, Agar scored 98 runs.
It can now host 17,000 people on a match day and is regularly sold out for Test and One-day Internationals, as well as offering many other facilities to visitors and guests from all over.
To confirm Trent Bridge’s desire to continue as a successful Test Match venue, Notts have spent a considerable amount of money on the ground over recent years.
It started with the creation of the William Clarke Stand in 1990, and the Hound Road Stand in 1993.
The £7.2 million Trent Bridge Cricket Centre was opened to huge acclaim by former Notts hero Sir Garfield Sobers in 1998 on the eve of the England v South Africa Test. Still affectionately known as the Radcliffe Road Stand, the multi-purpose complex contains many outside facilities for visitors to use and enjoy, as well as offering world-class views of the action on the pitch.
The building work continued in 2002, with the £1.9 million Fox Road stand, launched by Sir Ian Botham at the One-day International between England and Sri Lanka. It features a state of the art ‘aircraft wing’ roof.
Then in 2008 Prince Philip opened a replacement for the Parr Stand and West Wing.
Trent Bridge even has a history of hosting football matches. Notts County Football Club played their important games at the ground from the 1860s, and moved there permanently in 1883 when Nottingham Forest left. Unfortunately for the football team, games early and late in the season had to be played elsewhere due to the cricket and Notts County finally left in 1910, moving to Meadow Lane, where they remain to this day.
Trent Bridge even hosted an international match, England beating Ireland 6-0 in 1897.
An array of catering options and bar facilities are on offer throughout the ground, while Nottingham itself has the most wonderful hostelries and restaurants.
A hospitality lover’s dream.