Edgbaston Cricket Ground

England’s Leading Cricket Ground

The Calthorpe Estate originally owned the land that is now Edgbaston Cricket Ground. They believed a cricket ground would be an asset to the Birmingham area and a preferable site for the county headquarters. Rugby and Leamington Spa were considered but with Edgbaston’s grounds being a 20-minute walk away from New Street Station, Warwickshire agreed to lease the land for £5 per acre over a 21-year period starting in 1885.

Less than two decades later, Edgbaston hosted its first test match, which was the very first in the Ashes series in 1902. To accommodate the spectators, the club erected a permanent stand, two temporary stands and facilities for 90 members of the press. Edgbaston were also the first to host a competitive floodlit day-night cricket match in Britain.

It is now the largest cricket ground outside of London and second in the UK, beaten only by Lord’s. It can seat around 25,000 spectators and of all England’s Test Grounds, is the least disrupted by rain.