Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua fight thrown into doubt amid row over venue and money
Tyson Fury has claimed his long-awaited fight with Anthony Joshua is now in serious doubt, accusing his British rival and promoter Eddie Hearn of prioritising money over making the bout happen.
Fury and Joshua had been expected to meet in November in one of the biggest fights in British boxing history, but uncertainty over the location has created a fresh obstacle.
Joshua and Hearn have a contract for the contest to be staged in the United Kingdom, while Saudi organisers are pushing for the fight to take place in the United States.
Fury addressed the situation in a series of Instagram stories, claiming the proposed bout could now fall through.
“Doesn’t look like they’re going to sign the fight and it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen all because Eddie Hearn and that want more money,” Fury said.
The heavyweight rivals have separate contracts with Saudi Arabian-owned Sela, with New York’s Madison Square Garden understood to be the preferred venue if the fight is moved across the Atlantic.
The contest is due to be broadcast on Netflix, with the American location potentially allowing organisers to target a larger US audience.
Hearn outlines Joshua’s financial concerns
Hearn said on Thursday that a list of changes required for the fight to be staged in America had been sent to Sela.
The main issue, according to the Matchroom promoter, concerns Joshua’s compensation and the different tax implications associated with fighting in the United States.
“In layman’s terms, by staging the fight in America, Anthony Joshua receives less money than he would do if the fight was in the UK where he was contractually agreed,” Hearn said.
Fury responded angrily, describing Joshua and Hearn as “disgusting” and “money-thirsty”.
“It is what it is. Same old cliche a decade later. Keep running you little cowards,” he added.
In further posts containing expletives, Fury referred to Hearn as a “bag carrier” and questioned Joshua’s willingness to fight him.
“I’ll move on and fight somebody else but just know you never had the guts to fight Tyson Fury, ever, you little coward,” Fury added.
Hearn said the proposed amendments go beyond financial matters, with travel, accreditation and media arrangements also included.
According to Hearn, the changes were approved by Joshua and his lawyer before being sent to Sela. He said there had been no response for three or four days.
“We’ve had no feedback yet,” Hearn said.
Reports had suggested that some of the proposed changes were linked to a leaked email, but Hearn insisted the matters contained in that email were not part of the list sent to the Saudi organisers.
“The addendum does not have one of those points raised in that leaked email,” he said.
Matchroom payments separate from Fury-Joshua deal
Hearn also confirmed that Matchroom had held discussions with Sela over money owed to the organisation under previously agreed contracts.
Those matters reportedly include payments linked to darts and snooker events, international promotional fees, the World Series of Darts, the Ronnie O’Sullivan Snooker Academy in Riyadh and money owed to Matchroom from previous boxing events.
However, Hearn stressed that those issues were separate from negotiations over the Fury-Joshua fight.
He also declined to directly address claims that Joshua remains owed money from his most recent fight against Kristian Prenga.
“I’m not going to go into that at the moment. That’s a contractual position that will be left for another day,” Hearn said.
Zuffa Boxing adds another layer to negotiations
The situation has also become more complicated following the emergence of Zuffa Boxing, the Dana White-fronted promotion jointly owned by Sela and TKO Group Holdings.
TKO is the managing partner, while White is among the promotion’s executive leaders.
Hearn has been critical of the push to move Fury against Joshua to America, arguing that the involvement of TKO and Zuffa has influenced the plans.
“The reason that this is happening, to be completely honest with you, is because TKO and Zuffa have basically convinced or tried to convince Turki that this fight is massive in America,” he said.
Fury has also directly addressed White’s involvement and challenged him to get behind his position.
“White wants to be involved, he can come on my side. He can be a part of me. Get in, Dana. You want to make the fight, you can come on my side,” Fury said.
Why Hearn wants the fight in Britain
Fury and Joshua are two of the biggest names produced by British boxing in recent decades, with both fighters having developed significant international followings during their careers.
There has been considerable support within British boxing for the fight to take place in the UK, with Hearn insisting the argument is about more than simply the size of the crowd.
“It’s about British boxing. It’s about amateur boxing clubs. It’s about kids watching the biggest fight in boxing in our country,” he said.
Hearn also pointed to Joshua’s history in Britain, particularly his Olympic success at London 2012, as a reason why the fight should be staged on home soil.
“And more than that, it’s about Anthony Joshua wanting to have this fight in Britain where he won the Olympic gold medal, where he won the World Championship, where he absolutely changed the face of boxing forever,” Hearn added.
For now, the venue remains unresolved and Fury’s latest comments have added further uncertainty to a fight that has been discussed for more than a decade.
With Joshua contracted for a UK bout and Saudi organisers pushing for a move to the United States, the next stage of negotiations could determine whether Fury and Joshua finally meet in the ring or whether their long-awaited showdown is delayed once again.
FAQs
When is Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua expected to take place?
Fury and Joshua had been expected to meet in November, although the fight remains uncertain while negotiations over the venue and contractual issues continue.
Where could Fury vs Joshua take place?
Joshua and promoter Eddie Hearn have a contract for the fight to be staged in the UK, while Saudi organisers are pushing for the contest to take place in the United States. Madison Square Garden in New York is understood to be a preferred option.
Why is there a dispute over the fight being held in America?
Hearn says Joshua would receive less money if the fight took place in the US because of different tax implications. He has also raised practical issues involving travel, accreditation and media arrangements.
Will Fury vs Joshua be shown on Netflix?
The fight is expected to be broadcast on Netflix, although the venue and final arrangements have yet to be resolved.
Can I watch boxing hospitality with Eventmasters?
Eventmasters offers hospitality experiences across a range of major sporting events, providing fans with premium matchday and event packages.

