Who Makes the Cut? Tuchel Set To Announce England’s World Cup Squad
England manager Thomas Tuchel has reportedly begun contacting players who did not make his final 26-man squad for this summer’s World Cup. The former Chelsea head coach will announce his squad to the media on Friday, with England’s World Cup journey starting on 17th June against Croatia.
Many players will have been dreading the call, and some will still be waiting to find out their fate. But which debates will have caused Tuchel the biggest headache?
How will Tuchel’s backline shape up?
John Stones, who will leave Manchester City at the end of the season, has been a stalwart in the England side since 2018, but after making just four starts this season his spot could be in jeopardy.
Central defenders Marc Guehi and Ezri Konsa look certain to make the plane to North America, while Harry Maguire’s international recall in March will increase the Manchester United man’s hopes of a place.
Beyond those four, Jarell Quansah’s versatility could count in his favour, while Trevoh Chalobah and Fikayo Tomori were both included in the squad for March’s friendlies against Uruguay and Japan but face an uphill struggle to make the final 26.
Levi Colwill, who has only recently returned from a long-term cruciate knee ligament injury, was included in Tuchel’s extended 55-man party for the tournament but is unlikely to make the full squad.
On the right side of defence, the conversation is dominated by Trent Alexander-Arnold. Trent has struggled to make an impact in an England shirt since his debut and isn’t close to the top of Tuchel’s pecking order.
Last year, Tuchel said Quansah was ahead of him in the pecking order, so it doesn’t necessarily look good.
That said, Tuchel has issues at right-back. Reece James, who is expected to start the tournament as first choice in the position, has endured an injury-disrupted campaign.
Tino Livramento would also usually be selected. But the Newcastle full-back hasn’t played since mid-April because of a thigh injury.
The doubt over Livramento’s fitness, coupled with the expected exclusion of Arsenal’s Ben White – who is recovering from a serious knee injury – could yet open the door for Alexander-Arnold.
Tottenham’s Djed Spence could also be an option, having played four times under Tuchel.
Luke Shaw’s run into form has given Tuchel a welcome headache as he finalises his squad. Nico O’Reilly’s outstanding form for Manchester City means he will almost certainly be selected, with Newcastle duo Dan Burn and Lewis Hall also hoping to get the nod.
Who will be Harry Kane’s striking partners?
Harry Kane will head to the tournament as England captain and first-choice striker.
The race to be the Bayern Munich striker’s back-up for the World Cup, though, is a very interesting debate, with Tuchel reportedly debating whether to take three centre forwards.
Having missed out on the previous squad, Ollie Watkins has forced himself back into contention with a run of 11 goals in 14 games for Aston Villa.
Ivan Toney, who has spent almost a year in the international wilderness and now plays his club football in Saudi Arabia, has also not given up hope of making the squad.
There is a clamour for Danny Welbeck, who has scored 14 goals in an impressive season for Brighton, to be included.
The 35-year-old last played for England in September 2018 but was on Tuchel’s 55-man long list.
Dominic Solanke and Dominic Calvert-Lewin made the England squad for the March friendlies, but the Tottenham forward is a doubt because of a muscle injury.
Calvert-Lewin is another option as he continues to score regularly for Leeds, taking his season’s total to 15 goals with the winner in last Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Brighton.
Tuchel’s reign has been dominated by debate over who will be his number 10.
In one of Tuchel’s first squads, he sent shockwaves around England when he left Real Madrid’s Jude Bellingham out.
That allowed Aston Villa forward Morgan Rogers, who started five of England’s eight World Cup qualifying games, to continue as number 10.
Tuchel has looked to build a club feel around this England team and has repeatedly said that the collective is more important than an individual.
Of the other creative options, Cole Palmer and Phil Foden will be anxious as they wait to discover if they are called up.
Chelsea midfielder Palmer has started just twice under Tuchel, having missed the majority of the World Cup qualifying campaign because of injury.
Foden was the only England player to start both of March’s friendlies but did not impress.
Tuchel admitted after the last international break that the midfielder, who has not been a regular starter for Manchester City recently, is not guaranteed a spot on the plane.









